The significant investment from the HORIBA Group, which has been committed over the last six months, enables MIRA to continue with its ambitious plans for growth within vehicle R&D, engineering and testing, and invest in a number of its current facilities, therefore continuing to enhancing its capabilities.
The investment specifically enables significant upgrades to a number of MIRA’s existing test facilities and capabilities, including:
- MIRA’s world-class Climatic Wind Tunnel, including major upgrades to the operating plant, ensuring the facility remains the leading Climatic Wind Tunnel in the UK
- The outdoor High Energy Crash Centre, including the addition of new high-speed digital cameras that speed up the testing process, and the introduction of a second winch to increase testing capacity. This remains a unique facility that is subject to demand from an international customer base
- MIRA’s Kinematics & Compliance Facility, which includes integrated optical measurement of chassis system properties, that are unique in the industry and Vehicle Dynamics test equipment
- MIRA’s world-renowned Proving Ground, with improvements to the Wet Handling Circuit and upgrades to its high-speed circuit which will be completed by autumn 2016
- The entire operation of MIRA’s Euro NCAP-accredited Safety Test Centre, including a new Data Acquisition System (DAS), allowing for quicker vehicle preparation and installation, and state-of-the-art ‘WorldSID’ and ‘Q Series’ crash test dummies for the assessment of vehicle occupant injury risk in lateral impacts which are required for consumer (NCAP) tests . These investments will significantly increase the test capacity within the facility, as well as ensure HORIBA MIRA can continue to provide testing to all global test standards
In addition to the above items, the investment includes £7.4m of investment in critical infrastructure at MIRA Technology Park, which was announced in a visit from Marcus Jones MP, Minister for Local Government, earlier this month.